October 29, 2006

I just got home from spending a bit less than 2 hours serving and bussing tables at the church's Sunday lunch. I think this was the first free meal that they've provided.

With the exception of one teenager, I was the youngest person there. It felt good to serve fried chicken, corn, mashed potato(e)s and gravy to those who showed up. There were a few too many helpers though. And the bummer was that after serving some people 2nds, we ran out of potatos, then chicken, and people who showed up about 45 minutes after the meal began just got to have salad and dessert.

I appreciated the kind words from those we were serving...but what struck me was the rudeness of two of the many people who were serving. Despite who was in the line waiting to pick up food to deliver to tables, they both jumped to the front of the line, bypassing the other volunteers. I am not sure if it was purposeful or if they were simply not paying attention, but it was a bit unnerving. After serving salad to a few tables, I decided to become a utility player. I ended up bussing, filling the coffee/juice containers for other servers, and helping with dessert.

In all, it was a good experience, and I'll be happy to help out again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home